Friday, December 26, 2008

Problems galore, Solutions aplenty

A few years ago, one of my friends asked me for advice. He was frustrated, mostly out of his job. I wanted to help, but he was at the other side of the globe! I couldn't give him a ready solution. But instead, I sent him my recepie of solving a problem. Here it is.

1. Identify the problem
This is the first step. Unless we identify the exact problem, with all its details, we won't be able to prepare a solution for it. If you could prepare a problem statement, not more than a few lines, that would help much to make things clear.

2. Make a list of all possible solutions
When you are aware what the problem is or what is bothering you or what is it that you are not satisfied with, think of all the possible ways in which the situation could be improved. Even if a solution looks simple, or complex, far fetched, or lengthy, do add it to your list. Include only practical solutions.

3. Choose the best solution from the list
When you know the all possible ways, choose the best one. Depends on what is best for you in that situation. Choosing the best one would require comparisons and judgement on the criteria that you have.

4. Implement the best solution that we now know
Go ahead, its time for action.

When I have a problem, I tend to think in this way. And it works for me. And who doesn't have problems in this world? Sometimes I think that we are here to solve problems. We are all problem-solvers.

No comments:

Post a Comment